Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Day That Lady Called Me "Supermom"


My husband and I have a favorite restaurant that we visit at least once a week. The wonderful thing about it is that they have an extensive menu so my husband has lots of options even though I get the same thing every time. And they have the best sweet tea on the planet. It also helps that on the weekend kids eat free. We have been going there since our daughter was a baby. It makes us feel at home. Lovey gets really sad when someone is sitting at our table. I’m sure she has thought of asking them to move a time or two. One day while we were sitting at our favorite table, something awesome happened. A lady, well she was in her late teens/early twenties, called me “Supermom”. She happened to be waiting on us that day and noticed the babycubes that I had packed Nature Baby’s lunch in. She marveled at them, “Where did you get those neat little containers? Those are so cool!” Then, “Oh my gosh! I have never seen a seat like that before! Where did you get that? That is so neat! What… Are you like Supermom or something?” I told her I got this booster seat from a resale shop near our house and yes, it was the coolest thing ever. Looking at Nature Baby, she said, “You have the coolest Mom ever!” Now, obviously, I am not Supermom, but in that moment, just hearing someone say those words… I felt great! I thought to myself “I’m not Supermom, I just happen to be blessed with some pretty neat gear.” Then, I thought, you know she thought I was Supermom because of material things that I had. I wish she would have called me Supermom because of my patience, because of my quiet voice when my children are impatiently waiting for their food, because of the games I make up on the fly to occupy hungry children. But still, in that moment, she lifted me. Just hearing the word “Supermom” brightened my face. No matter her reason, I felt good about myself.

 I know a true Supermom. She goes to doctor visit after doctor visit with her child. She reads, studies, researches, reads some more to try to make her child’s life easier, better. She sacrifices her time, money, social life to ensure her child has everything he needs. I do not even come close to Supermom. But does Supermom know that she is Supermom? Everyone feels that they are just doing what they have to do. That they are doing the things they do for their family because it is what they do. They don’t feel “Super.” But wouldn’t you like to hear that you are super? Wouldn’t it make you feel good to know that someone is proud of you, that they think you are awesome? Guess what, YOU ARE SUPER! You are! If someone hasn’t told you that lately, consider telling yourself. You are amazing. There are things that you do that no one else can do. To your children, you are the best. Even if they don’t always verbally praise you, they are thinking it. Imagine what could happen if we took the time to tell people that they are “Super!”

 

I’d love to hear your stories of when you felt great about something you accomplished, or when others lifted you, or how you have helped to lift up others.

No comments:

Post a Comment